Buggods

From the Blog

History: The MG Car Company

MG Stands for Morris Garages, which was the Oxford distributor for Morris cars; co-incidentally, it was also owned by William Morris, later Lord Nuffield. When Cecil Kimber became its general manager in 1922, the firm started modifying standard Morris Cowleys, lowering the chassis and fitting more sporting bodywork.

1952 MG TD

Morris Garage © Tatiana Cohen

Morris Garages (MG) was founded by William Morris, also known as Lord Nuffield. Sir Morris started out as an apprentice at a bicycle shop, when he left school at the age of 15. Months later he opened his own business repairing bicycles from his house. Later on he opened a shop where he not only repaired but also manufactured bikes. In 1901 he designed his first motorcycle. The following year he opened another garage, where he repaired and sold cars. In 1913 he designed his first car, the Oxford “Bullnose.”

In 1929, Morris Garages was renamed the MG Car Company. During the early 1930s, MG became synonymous with the term “sports car”, and its road cars were promoted by successful racing forays. Morris sold his private companies in 1935, including MG, which became the Morris Motors brand. All companies were merged with the Austin Motor Company in 1952 and they all became BMC (British Motor Corporation).

One of the most famous Morris cars, the Morris Minor, was designed by Sir Alec Issigonis, who went on to design the Mini.

Here are some of the cars that used the Morris brand:

The British Motor Corporation was later renamed BL. BL was bought by BMW, who is now in charge of manufacturing the new MINI as well as other Morris and Austin brand models.

Check out Buggods’ most recent MG project on this 1952 MG TD!

Have your say